Pages

Friday 16 June 2017

Not a Good Day

So some time back, I picked up the Tamiya 1/100 model of the Il-28 Beagle. I love the look of this plane, and I had a vague idea I might pick up some of the PSC T55 and build up a Polish battlegroup as an opponent for my Danes.

So having assembled it... minus the 'glass', I put it aside, and this morning thought I would give it an undercoat of gray primer...

Now whether it was the humidity, or something else..  it went on like sandpaper..  gritty and horrible..

Yuck...  all gritty
Not much I could do about it at the time..  so I had to leave it. So when I did get back to it, rubbing it down did nothing, so the last resort was to scrub with white spirit.

And this was the result..  

Oh dear
Ok, so having got it back (almost) to bare plastic, I undercoated using black. Much better. And then I had a moment of insanity, and thought I would airbrush it silver..  with Vallejo Acrylics..  I knew it was a dumb idea, but frankly, the whole model was a disaster, how bad could it be?

Utter disaster.. the Beagle looks like it has been painted by Jackson Pollock, and of course I clogged the airbrush, several times, then trying to unscrew the brish to clean it, sheared off the front stem through which the needle passes, rendering the whole thing unusable, and I believe - unrepairable.

Not my best day. Down 1 Beagle and 1 Airbrush.  

2 comments:

  1. I feel your pain. I am very wary of what goes through the airbrush and to be honest when I get around to the Tamiya Lightning and MiG-23 I may just use Tamiya's own spray cans for the silver.

    I also got Poles in 6mm as an opponent for my 6mm Danes. Any excuse to get a T-55 or two onto the tabletop facing off against a Centurion or two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking for a silver lining, I discovered that air brushes have dropped significantly in price, the mini compressor is still good, and a new airbrush is being delivered by Amazon today.

    ReplyDelete